Hi Dark,

Yeah, I don't know how long the hunt and peck method of input will
last either, but I agree with your point that for those sorts of
people using a touchscreen probably isn't much different. One hunt and
peck system is probably as good as another. Its only the professional
and semi-professionals who know how to type who will notice the
difference in speed and efficiency.

As for the word abbreviations textspeak, netspeak, etc whatever you
want to call that too is also a factor. Since people can't type or
simply don't want to type out fully formed words on Facebook, Twitter,
and other social media I suspect we are going to see a lot more of
that besides the usual things like oic, lol, brb, etc. As long as
people confine it to their Twitter feed or Facebook page I don't mind
as much, but when I see it in e-mail posts that is when I get a bit
annoyed since I'd like people to actually spell words rather than
trying to read sentences composed of gibberish.

In any case your point is a good one. With the lack of formal training
in typing, people's tendencies these days to shorten everything to
three and four letter abbreviations, I suspect many sighted people
probably don't notice a difference in using a touchscreen over the use
of a full sized keyboard the way a blind person would.