Hi jeremy.

Yes, the problem of people expecting all sounds in muds is an issue, though i disagree that some introductory text, or at least a disclaimer on the MushZ page to the effect that "this isn't really what playing most muds is like" wouldn't be of use (I for one read the text and! listen to the sounds as well to get the full experience).

On another point, It is interesting you mention people automatically assuming everyone is using the same technology they are because that is the very reason I wasn't playing alteraeon myself long ago.

Back in 2005 I ran across muds as online games. I tried a Zmud client and connecting with telnet with using Supernova's virtual focus on screen to read text just as I did when playing interactive fiction games. however, I ran into the problem that with the text real time, I couldn't move, read and play altogether.

I looked up blind people and muds and ran across alteraeon, and sent a male to one of the staff, who put me in touch with a blind player. I was told "here is a link to some jaws script files!"

When i said I didn't use jaws, I got a "I don't know" response.

The sad thing is, the client I was pointed to was mushclient, and there certainly was! a sapi plugin at the time that would've read the real time incoming text no problem, but sinse I didn't even know what sapi was (I had utterly failed to get winfrotz tts to speak on my windows 98 machine), I didn't even know the question to ask, and sinse all the person giving me the information new about was Jaws, I missed out.

Needless to say this got rectified later, but only after David Greenwood produced Vipmud with sapi support and I then investigated sapi support in MushZ specifically for Alter.

So, lack of knolige and resource on different ways of doing the same thing is also a pest.

All the best,