and even if someone like EA games would start making audio games there probably would be no market insentive and they would quickly drop the project.

follow me on twitter @joshknnd1982

On 6/13/2015 5:25 AM, dark wrote:
Hi.

To be honest I'm getting a little sick of this "I want a mainstream game" debate.

?

People seem to think all mainstream games are complex affairs just because they are graphical and the audio game developers are just being lazyor something or not taking the time.

?

The plane fact is even in terms of graphical games, what people are developing with similar resources to audiogames are not huge complex multiplayer 3D monstrosities. Most indi games are by their nature simpler because your comparing the resources of one or two people on their own working probably in their spare time, with a huge multi million dollar company that employs hundreds of developers working 8 hours a day with a gigantic budget of resources.

?

IInstead of people saying "where is the audio version of insert mainstream title" I'd suggest people look around at some of the indi produced pc, Ios or android games, the games that do have similar amounts of funding and resources and look at the differences there, why the differences exist and how to reduce them.

?

One for example which people mention but which still hasn't had much by way of attention is sound design. A graphics artist can put whatever they want in their game. they want a huge mechanized plant monster from the planet zog, well they can have it, how well it is produced might depend upon how good their graphics artist and animmating program is, but fundamentally they can still have it.

The same is not true of audiogames, I still! see people wanting to buy ridiculously expensive soundpacks rather than looking into alternative methods of sound design, indeed we have some talented sound designers in this community. I'd also suggest looking around for sounbds more.

?

it amazed me when in 2010, the independently produced game To hell with Johnny (a game with low vision access but no complete audio access), actually had a more rich soundscape than most audiogames. When i asked the developer where he came by sounds, he just said he found them around. Same goes for music, the music in some indi titles has been staggeringly good, mostly becuase people have sought out ameter musicians who are able to do a good job and communicated with them, but for some reason a lot of makers of audiogames just look within the community, and as has been said before there are comparatively few blind people.

?

Lastly, one thing which always confuses me is why people don't make more use the tools that are! available, and I'm not just talking about Bgt.

?

Swamp Campaign scripting has the potential to create some great stuff, because you can pretty much do whatever you want in first person, create door and lock puzzles, alter health, attacks etc. A while ago someone was bemoaning the fact that there was no audio resident evil, and yet it'd be comparatively easy to create an audio resident evel as a Swamp campaing sinse you've already got all the movement and firing controls, just slow things down (including the zombies), and insert a lot of locked door puzzles and objects to pick up and examine, and vuala!

?

The same goes for tactical battle maps and time of conflict maps. Jason Alan is currently working on a modding system for Entombed ii, something which I'm really! looking forward to, yet I do wonder how many people will be making use of it?

?

This isn't intended to be harsh. Yes, even when comparing audiogames to indi games there are some pretty huge gaps, and yes, the lack of easier development tools like unity is undoubtedly part of the problem, however I tend to agree with Thomas' sentiment here. People are very quick to say "oh where is that big complex multi million dollar audiogam" yet even the ones who don't spend their time bashing developers don't tend to be good at solutions or looking around for what "could" be done rather than complaining about what is lacking.

?

All the best,

?