giant squid screen reader would be interesting.

follow me on twitter @joshknnd1982

On 6/16/2015 10:07 AM, dark wrote:
Funny, I thought "jaws" was called such after the old dos screen reader flipper, which also gave it's name to the company dolphin who make Hal and Orca on Linux, though I could be entirely wrong.

I now want to see a screen reader called giant squid! :D.

Dark.
There is always more to know, more to see, more to learn. The world is vast and wondrous strange and there are more things benieth the stars than even the archmaesters of the citadel can dream.
----- Original Message ----- From: "john" <jpcarnemo...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] info AudioGames Game Engine

JAWS: *Job* Access With Speech.

From: "dark" <d...@xgam.org>
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 14:39
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>

Hi Tom.

Funny the "computers aren't for play" attitude sinse to be honest I wouldn't
have learnt to use the internet properly or navigate correctly with
supernova if it hadn't been for games, ditto with voiceover on the Iphone (indeed I specifically bought games to practice with when i got my Iphone).

Then of course there is the more recent arguement that audiogames actually
teach valuable skills, hell the blindsquare satnav now gives directional
positional audio kews for it's beacons so walking around outside is geting
more and more like something like Swamp, nice preparation for when the
zombocalypse actually does! happen :D.

the Rnib are about the same over here as I've said before, they certainly have an institutional approach, however they're usual line is "most blind
people aren't interested in that sort of thing" which is why they only
currently support and promote Azabat sinse it is built to appeal to the sort
of people the Rnib see themselves as catering for.

I do wonder though if other organizations in the uk would be more receptive
such as action for blind people (who had the top ten audiogames a while
ago), or possibly even Guide dogs, although their entertainment side has
fallen off recently.

That's why I'd suggest having some sort of braille brochure though, sinse
obviously if it's not out there people won't know.

All the best,

dark.