>From my rooting around on the web sites, I think I understand why the
various blind organizations don't give games much lip service.  It's
not so much that they hate games or haven't heard about them; is that
they're focused on helping blind people survive and provide for
themselves.

Specifically, these organizations are focused on helping blind people
gain the skills needed to function in society and hopefully find
employment.  The extremely low employment numbers for the blind are no
secret, and it should be no surprise that these orgs are focusing on
that very hard problem.  Playing games is considered a leisure
activity, something you do in your spare time, not something you do to
put food on the table.

In a lot of ways this makes sense - they're mostly charity
organizations, and they're expected to show that they're not wasting
the money they're given.  It wouldn't look that great for their
financial reports to say "we helped 1 million blind people learn how
to play video games this year!", while the employment numbers for
those people remain abysmal.

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com