also most of the world's websites run on servers and those servers run open source linux. I always keep a open source ubuntu linux disk around with the open source screen reader orca on it because if i want to check out a questionable website i can go to it running a live ubuntu disk and it won't hurt my computer at all. it could be filled with windows malware and viruses but those won't hurt linux at all. open source software also gets updates probably more frequently than windows to patch security holes and other such things. I also run open source NVDA and have no issues.

follow me on twitter @joshknnd1982

On 11/20/2015 4:51 PM, Danielle Ledet wrote:
Charles, I could not have expressed it any better! I dislike the fact
folks can just modify code at will. The right person able to do this
can cause loads of trouble without even sending a virus either way
damage is done! Anybody with that kind of advanced savvy is dangerous!

You state my point exactly when you say, "Certainly, I could write a piece
of code and include it in a package and then give a virus to everybody I
could convince to run my modified code, but that's about as far as it can
go."

That's as far as it needs to go to get the evil deed done.

you! really! are! finished!
----- Original Message -----
From: "john" <jpcarnemo...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2015 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] blindfold airhockey is now out

No, open source is not more vulnerable to viruses - if anything, its less
so.
Yes, you can view and modify a copy of the code.
This can teach you how the code works, so if there are bugs, you might be
able to exploit them.
On the other hand, if there are bugs, users can report them more easily.
Being able to modify a copy of the code does not mean you can get that
modified code distributed - you only have a copy, not the official
source.
Certainly, I could write a piece of code and include it in a package and
then give a virus to everybody I could convince to run my modified code,
but
that's about as far as it can go.
A perfect example of open source software is  - or was - the encryption
software true crypt. This was used industry wide - corporations,
governments
and individuals all relied on it, for a really long period of time. True
crypt was the gold standard - if you wanted high quality data security,
you
used it, and if you wanted the code, you could get it.
In fact, part of the reason true crypt was as widely used as it was is
that
it was audited by independent security professionals, something which
isn't
possible without seeing the code.
Basically what this all boils down to is that open source is just as
secure
as anything else - it all depends on the distribution mechanism used and,
more importantly, how well the code's written.