Yikes. Where can I get empire? that's a game I haven't heard of before. Is it for dos or windows console?
At 02:27 AM 11/10/2016, you wrote:
Wow, I've been playing nethack for years and years, and didn't know about the underscore key. Heh. I've never won a game either, but I had much better luck playing nethack on dos than any other operating system, because of the way cursor tracking and movement is done. I can still play it on linux/bsd/osx, but it's much more of a pain, since (as far as I know) it's not possible to move up/down in those screen readers and stay at the same columnof the screen. Empire is another game similar to nethack in it's movement, that uses symbols to show various game pieces and terrain features, and although I have managed to win that one here and there, it's made harder by the need to determine capital vs. lower case characters, which in itself isn't difficult, but after a while, you assume you know the screen layout, and then the computer sneaks in under your nose, because you didn't check that troop transport, and later discover it belonged to the computer instead of to you. :)

I've actually considered making an audio game out of empire, it might be difficult to manage, but I think if it were done, it would make tracking enemy pieces much easier.