From: "Travis Siegel" <tsie...@nfbcal.org>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2017 11:33
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: [Audyssey] dos and memory usage (was Running DOS games on windows 10?)

This is just plain wrong.  Dos was not overly complicated, unix still
exists, and it is very similar to dos.  The only thing dos didn't do was
multitask (though later versions of dos and 3rd party utilities did solve
this problem to some degree), the fact that you didn't understand it
doesn't make it complicated, confusing and useless.  Unix is still in very
wide use today, and yes, even unix has gui interfaces, but ask any decent
system admin, and they'll tell you that if you need something done
quickly, and accurately, there's no substitute for a straight up command
line, since you can accomplish with a single command what might take
several clicks with a mouse, and (in rare cases) can't be done at all
using the gui.
Nothing wrong with dos, unix, or any other type of operating sytem, each
person uses what works for them, and that's just fine, that's the whole
point of choice afterall.
In your example, the reason your cd command din't change you to another
drive, is because changing drives is a simple as typing in the new drive
letter.  You want drive d or drive e, just type d: or e:.  That's all
there is to it.
But, in any case, this is way off topic for the list, so let's try to
limit discussions on this.  The fact that you can still play dos games
whether it be with emulators, or by converting them to windows programs by
recompiling/rewriting them in modern languages/compilers shouldn't be too
far off topic though.  I'd be more than willing to assist anyone wishing
to port dos games to windows if they have source code for said games.
It's often not a straightforward port, but it's also usually not all that
difficult either, just a matter of recoding to take advantage of event
driven instead of command driven interfaces.  I'm perfectly to help anyone
needing/wanting help porting programs to windows, linux, mac, or any other
os I can get my hands on if I can make it talk.  It's extremely rewarding
to see a program be revived from ashes, and see it running on modern
operating systems, not to mention it allows many others to enjoy that
program who might otherwise not have had the chance.