Hi Josh,
 From your email it sounds like your weapon skills and melee rating may
be to low. The best way to complete that mission is to go back and
recreate your character with a higher melee and weapons skills, and
build your character up a bit for taking on that quest. With my Sryth
character I blazed through that barn the first time through without
dying and my guess is since I took it on with a reasonable amount of
weapons and melee I went through them like a knife through butter.
Honestly, if you can't make it through the tarn ratts you will have
serious problems later on in harder quests such as the shadow gate
adventure under the monistary, and even harder ones than that.