ok, the answers to your questions are below:

it sounds to me as if you were running a mismatched version of app and
framework or were missing some other core component the app requires.
i don't think this is the case (see below)

First, can you list the titles of the applications that failed to run with
the .NET Framework?
on the system i'm currently using, all .net framework applications are
failing, including railracer, it's track editor, treasure hunt, etc.

Second, what version of the framework are you running.
i am running .net framework 2.0.

Third, did you check to see if any other components were missing?
as far as i know rr specifies that it uses directx9. so first i downloaded
the one, i can't remember whether it was your website or another, but when i
installed it it still didn't work.
che then suggested that that version of dx was outdated, so when i managed
to retrieve all my data, i ran the directx9 redistributable package which
worked fine on my last system for rr, and still no luck.
as for the track editor which doesn't need directx, that also didn't run, so
i'm pretty sure it's to do with the .net framework having problems running
on my system.

Fourth, as for Jaws did you install the VS scripts.
i've tried vs both with the scripts, which was a failure anyways because
they wouldn't compile, on this system anyway, and without the scripts, which
really was my only option, and it still was "not responding".

thanks.

regards,

damien