Hi Nicol,
Based on what I have played of Sarah so far I would say Sarah is more
like Shades of Doom than Packman.
The castle layout is a more complex maze than the Packman maze. For
example, there are locked doors, a marble staircase, and rooms you can
enter to find items. To enter the basement or dungeon simply go down the
marble staircase to enter that section of the castle. If you have the
proper spell or whatever you can unlock certain doors which opens up new
levels of the castle and hidden rooms. Generally, speaking the marble
staircase is the way to new levels, but you have to have the proper
spell or key to unlock that next level. Not the same as the SOD
elevators, but the same kind of concept is applied. You have to have the
proper spell or key to unlock the door to advance in the game. One can
not just go from level 1 to level 12 as he or she wishes. You need to
explore each floor of the castle to advance onwards.
As you explore you will find magic items that will help you beat that
and future levels of the game. Invisible cloaks, remember alls, magic
wands, are just a few things that will aid you in your quest.
Especially, when beating ghosts, goblins, and other trouble makers.
fortunately, the creatures aren't as interested in killing you as they
are in scaring you away. Grin.
There certainly are dead ends in the game. YUou might want down a
passage that ends in a locked door, or ends wiuth a burning torch or
suit of armour there. That is a part of exploring which is fun. Not
knowing where you are going, and finding new things all the time.
If you get really really really lost you can always aperate back to your
broom closet provided you have some aperation spells left in your wand.
 Besides the broomn closet is a nice place to store items you don't want
stolen by Peve's and other tthiefs. Man, I'd love just for once to have
some dark side power like distruction or something nastier I could trow
at Peve's. Perhaps gate him into another demention. Lol!