Hi Davy,
My thoughts exactly. The Bop It style game such as Bop It, ESP Whoop
Ass, Spanker, etc are ok for a rainy day, but I loose interest after a
couple of rounds.
You are correct full 3D FPS engines are a serious complication for a
single developer. It can be done, but it is usually a huge project.
The side-scroller games can typically be made much much faster
especially with a substantial  amount of code already written.