Hi Dark,
Yes, side-scrollers can have some advanced elements, and unique
challenges of there own. Case in point platforms that vanish or move so
you have to time your jumps to get them just in time.
In the Smirf's side-scroller I can remember you would have a drop off to
jump over. jumping over wasn't the worst part. As you did bats would
dive at you and contacting them would kill you. So the jump and the bats
together made that trap kind of tough to cross successfully every time.
As for the bit about FPS games

inherently more advanced it is true to some degree. Shades of Doom is light
years more complex and probably has better replay value than Monty. However,
Monty is not designed to do those things. Instead the idea is to compete fore
scores, and for good old fun and entertainment without allot of additional
complexity.
One thing that escapes allot of gamers attention FPS games like Resident Evil,
great game, take way way more work to produce.
A game like Resident evil would take a dev like me a good three or four years
to produce on my current schedule.