Hello all.
I’ve just finished developing a prototype version of a Rhythm-Action audio game
that I am using as a research project for my graduation at the University of
Oregon.  I learned of this mailing list from a kind person on the
audiogames.net forums.  I have two versions of the game up and running.  I was
wondering if anyone here would be wonderful enough to play the games and answer
a few short questions that will help me improve the design.

Here is the URL for the download page:
http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/~dmiller6/FingerDance/fd.html

There are instructions on how to download and set up the game on this site.
You will need an unzipping tool to decompress the files.  I recommend WinZip or
7-Zip, but any tool that can handle .ZIP files should work fine.  This project
was developed in JAVA, so it should work on just about any platform.  However,
initial tests on MAC systems have been problematic so it is only recommended
that you download and play this game on a Windows machine running Windows 2000
or any newer version.

There are two versions of the game, FingerDance1 and FingerDance2.  Each
version uses different cue sounds that will tell you when and how to play along
with the game’s song.  Before you play, you can listen to a short instructional
description of the game.  Also, the readme.txt file included with in the zip
file  has more instructions and hints on how to play.  Also, it helps to have a
good pair of headphones since the game makes use of stereo to convey the cue
sounds.  Please note that these games are still very early in development and
serve as a testing environment so that I can experiment with different play
styles for these types of rhythmical audio games.

If anyone is interested, I would really appreciate some feed back by having you
respond to the following questions after playing the each version of the game:

Were the instructions helpful in teaching you how to play the games?

How long did it take you to have a good understanding of how to play each
version of the game?

Which version, FingerDance1 or FingerDance2, was easier to play and why?

If you played each game more than once, what was your score the first time you
played it and what was your score the last time you played it?  The score will
be spoken at the end of the game in terms of a ranking.  For example, you score
could be terrible, pretty good, very good, or incredible.

Were the games fun and/or interesting?

Do you think that the gameplay ideas presented by FingerDance could be used to
make a fun Rhythm-Action audio game that you would like to play?

If you could, how would you improve these games?

Any responses would be much appreciated.  I’m currently writing up a research
paper that is going to be submitted to the ASSETS conference on accessible
software development in October.  I’ve had some people test the game but none
of them were true audio gamers, so your feed back would be extremely helpful!

You can respond to me by email at dmiller6[at]uoregon.edu

Thanks
-Daniel Haukenes Miller