Hi Ann,
At the moment i am uncertain what to suggest or how to advise you about
your issue. In all the months of both public and private testing yours
is the first reported case of this nature. So any error logs, or hints
as to why this happens on your end would be very helpful.
As for installing a version of Montezuma's Revenge over a previous
version that is a very bad thing to do, and here is why.
When you install a new version of Monty over an existing version say,
Beta 4 over top of Beta 3, what happens is the setup will detect which
files are missing and install the missing files but will not overwrite
the files that exist in the installation folder with the updated ones.
So if there is a feature or a bug fix you want in the new Montezuma.exe
you will not get it, because technically speaking you are still only
running the previous version with some extra files for the new version
installed.
For patches I use winzip self-extractor which does overwrite files, but
not for the full setup.
Cheers.