Hi Tobias and Thomas,
I've often thought of the Linux route, since this will be off-topic, you can
email me offlist with your replies. I'll explain now what happens. First,
the linux route is cool, since having games on linux may give me motivated
to learn it, but there are a few things. I had to stop using my old laptop
because the, even though the hardware was fine, it couldn't run properly
anymore, and, because it was a secondhand laptop, I didn't get a Windows
disk, so when the software developed many problems, and some other
components didn't function properly, I bought the new one, especially as I
need Office 2003 for uni. The old laptop has very low specifications, I
mean, old like Pentium 2, 32 MB Ram, which I made 128, but the point is, we
tried installing Ubuntu with Orca, and it wouldn't run well, the laptop was
too slow. What is the best linux system to put on. I was thinking of
Speakup, but they tell me I need a number pad, and can't use speakup on a
laptop. I have a doubletalk synthesizer which I can use, so I'd like
something which would talk me through the installation. Most of all, I need
to be able to ask people for help. When I've downloaded whatever you guys
suggest for old computers, then I need to ask someone to explain to me how
to burn the iso to CD, and when I start installing, I'll need to ask help
for things I don't understand. I've heard of the blinux list, but everyone
there seems so technical and they really talk so high that I always feel
that I don't know what they're talking about, but I lose nothing in trying
linux on it, as that laptop is just standing there, and I really can't mess
it up. Then I also need some sort of guide to help me understand the whole
linux environment on text, so, you see, even though I really want to try and
do it, it seems so complicated!
Ari