Hi Shaun,
A large part to success in STFC is a good offensive strategy. In my
experience a defensive strategy will get you killed everytime. A good
offensive strategy means you wil
assess and attack the most dangerous threats to your fleet first, use
your fleet to attack superior targets to weeken and destroy the enemy
formations, use the Defiant's cloak to run surprise attacks or as
backup, and do your best to keep the enemy as far away from your bases
as possible.
If you are at the point you have to take cover by your starbases then
you are probably already beaten. A good game is one where you are out on
the Federation boarders mixing it up with the Klingons, Romulans, and
Cardassians stopping them from getting through your blockade.
Hth.