Hi Karl,

What is happening is that you are running up against a monster that is
moving the same direction as you. Because the game doesn't let you run
past monsters, you must wait until they move.
End quote

After checking I think you are correct about this. It seams while
invincibility is on you can keep running into the same monster, which of
course slows you down, and Nicol and others experiencing this issue are
simply not jumping over the monster. Good call.

BTW, Tom, any chance of bringing back different monster speeds based on
difficulty now that there is no problem with autoactivating swords?
End quote

I'll certainly leave that option open for future upgrades. It is
something I would like to add myself, and it would certainly effect game
play.
Cheers.