Hi Sarah,

But it would really be a pitty if this only is possible at the cost of
features that would be possible in Windows, but not for the other OS, for
example force feedback support wich I would really love to see in the game.
End quote

Well, currently allot of the problem in this area is that computers in
general are not major game companies primary target environment. If I
was going to list gaming platforms according to statistics it would be
in an order like: Sony Play Station, XBox, Nintendo Wii, Windows PC, Mac
OS X, and Linux would get last place. As a result the Play Station and
PSP would end up with all the research and development capital, followed
by XBox, Wii, etc. Since Microsoft both owns the Windows and XBox gaming
markets they have been working on a framework for game companies to
target both with the same platform called XNA. Obviously, since
Microsoft has both the money and resources features on XBox and Windows
are going to be superior to Mac and Linux who are trailing behind both
in technology and general support from the game comunity as a whole. In
the passed any time a game became available for Mac or Linux it was only
after it was released and made big sales in the Windows market.
For example, around year 1999 the companies who made Civilization,
Quake, etc hired a company called Loki Games to port all there games to
the Linux platform. Unfortunately, for Linux gaming sales were not so
great, and the project was stopped in 2001. Looking back on that mistake
most game companies do not consider Linux a viable gaming platform
except for those writing their games in Java which can be ported with
very little cost to Mac and Linux. However, my opinion is that the game
companies tried to go Linux before the market was there to sustain it.
After all statistics have shown that the Linux PC market has nearly
doubled since 2000, and Ubuntu Linux has become the Linux of choice for
Del, many universities, and home users.
So what I am basically saying is that Linux and Mac are great operating
systems but some areas like gaming technology tend to be behind the
general mmarket standards, because they have to play catch up with the
big players like Sony and Microsoft. For Linux the GPL hobbles them in a
special way, because anything that is introduced in to the core
operating system must meet open source guidelines and standards. This is
contrary to the big corperations view that they have to license, sell,
and market everything with soul control over it.
For example, Sony owns soul control over what can and can not be created
for the Play Station. Last time I checked they wanted $25000 just for
the PS2 and PSP developers kit, and that didn't include any royalties
and licensing fees for using the platform. Even if you create a game
then the game goes up to a review board which reviews the game and
decides if it will be released to the general market. As a result they
can license the technology for huge somes of cash, millions, and they
don't have to share any secrets or use open source and free technology
as they do it. Though, I believe Sony is currently using a modified
Linux os for their core PS III technology as interesting as that sounds.