Hi Cara,
Hmm... Well, seeing as the object is treasure hunting probably should be
Aztecs. They were well known for their great wealth in gold, silver, and
warlike ways.
If you remember the ancient Mayans are more remembered today for their
calendars, language, and level of scientific observations. Especially,
their wealth of knowledge in ancient astronomy. Their paintings,
statuary, and pyramids are also of great value, but as an Empire the
Mayans didn't have as much gold and silver as Aztecs and Incas. While
they weren't wealthy in precious metals they were wealthy in other ways.
A way the Spanish concorers completely ignored.
One of the great ironies of the Spanish conquest is that they concored
the Aztecs and Incas  fairly quickly, and they were the ritchest Empires
in the region. When they concored the Mayans hey were the least wealthy,
but took the longest to defeat.