A few muds that I have frequented and enjoyed are the following:

legends of Karinth karinth.com port 1234 (very in-depth and highly
customizable, roleplay accepted)
Legend of the jedi legendsofthejedi.com port 5656 (star-wars based,
rp-enforced, permanent death.)
lensmoor lensmoor.org port 4000 (rp-heavy but not enforced, I forgot the
category that goes between accepted and enforced.  It does have wilderness
but a blind person can get through it with some patience and by reading room
descriptions, several races, is classless, has a fantastic crafting system
and a wealth of rp or questing or pk if you opt in to the pvp aspect)
discworld discworld.atuin.net port 23 (it's big, my first mud, has a lot of
people, so many features I can't even count, people can rp if they want but
don't have to, you can hack and slash, do quests, or do all of the things
that so many people think are useless like shopping, buying pets, etc.  I
should really go back there and look Missy up especially now that Miriani is
down for a week. I still have characters on there)

I'd also check the mud connecter or mud magic's top ten or top 20 muds to
see if there is something that strikes your fancy.  Good luck!

Warmly,
Jaliya

please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]