Hi everyone,
Let's get something straight before this question comes up again, and again, and again. Mysteries of the Ancients is not, repete, is not like Montezuma's Revenge were some rooms are light and some are dark. Practically 99% of the time the room is going to be dark unless there is a burning torch in it, or there is a fire burning in that room. If those two exceptions are not met then use a torch. Do not worry about saving torches in the beginner levels as there will be plenty of them laying around to find, pick up and use. Later levels, more difficult ones, you might want to start saving light. However, for the purposes of the first 5 levels or so don't worry yourself over when should I use a torch you will figure out when is a good time as you get more into this game.
Smile.