Or if you consider David Eddings' Belgariad as an example, a tomb could also be used to contain a powerful, evil entity such as a demon or evil god. Torak, the evil god of the Belgariad series, was imprisoned in an iron tower in the center of a city of Iro called Cthol Mishrak, which means City of Night. The city, and more particularly the tower itself, was often referred to as the Tomb of the One-eyed God, even though Torak wasn't actually dead when he was taken back there. Anyone who's read the series will know he wasn't actually slain until at least three-thousand years after the city was built.
I want you...to go upstairs...and kill that boy!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] tomb hunter questions

Hi Nicol,

Nicol said:
1. who's dead? in other words who's berried in the tomb?

Tom says:
I think you are taking the word tomb too littoral. While it is true that the word tomb suggests a grave of some kind that is not always the case. The Tomb Raider series of games by Edos Interactive often uses the word tomb to mean any kind of underground laberenth that needs to be explored weather it is a grave site or not. The Tomb Hunter games that I am creating uses the word tomb likewise. It just means an underground laberenth where treasures and special items are buried in this case. Although, since there are skeleton warriors in the game, they are a type of undead monster, I'd suppose they were the people who were buried inside the tomb. Since the game takes place in Greece perhaps the skeletons are undead Greek warriors of some kind?

Nicol said:
2. is it possible to add a feature in the game where one can step over the
corpses?

Tom says:
Yes, but why? I think it makes more sense and is more interesting if you have to slay the undead creatures in the tomb, such as the skeletons, rather than walk over their bodies.

Nicol said:
3.  does the tomb look like the ancient tombs of bible times?

Tom says:
No. All of the game levels are completely made up. They were not meant to represent any actual layouts of a tomb. Just there for fun and exploration. Even if i did use an actual tomb in one of my Tomb Hunter games it would all have to depend on who's standard of tomb building I'd need for the game. Just because it may have been constructed in biblical times doesn't mean much. Every culture in the world had their own style or standards for tomb building. That's one of the things that makes archeology so interesting. In a way an ancient civilization's tombs were a work of art. Definitely a lot more creative and interesting then what we do today.

Nicol said:
4. what about a tomb stone. the game voice could read at some point what is
written on the tomb stone.

Tom says:
Well, ancient cultures didn't use tombstones as we understand the concept today. The concept or idea of tombstones is a much newer burial practice then the time in which the tomb was built. Tombstones have their own superstitious origins attached that have nothing to do with ancient Greek culture.

Nicol said:
5.  how about a feature in the game where the player can knock down tomb
stones such as in  ESP pinball classic?

Tom says:
Umm...Aren't you forgetting Angela Carter is a trained archaeologist? Archaeologists as a rule don't intentionally vandalize tombs and destroy ancient artifacts. They'd be the least likely to knock down and destroy tombstones for the fun of it. Smile.

Nicol said:
7. please describe how a harpie, centaur and cyclops looks like?

Tom says:
Centaurs are half-man half-horse creatures. Their lower half is that of a horse, and their upper half is the body of a man. Harpies look more or less like women except they have wings like a bird and sharp claws on their hands. Some descriptions give them birdlike heads too, but it all depends on whose telling the story or drawing pictures of them. A cyclops is a giant man with one eye. Instead of having two eyes like we have he has one big one where a normal person has two.
HTH