Hi Josh,
I agree that by releasing a freeware or open source game engine the number of accessible games out there would dramatically improve. However, one problem with doing this is that the game developers that are doing this for money may suffer as a result of it. Imagine, for example, if you could download a free version of the GMA Engine and create your very own Shades of Doom or Tank Commander game. If you could do that would you pay for Shades of Doom or Tank Commander? I think if we were all honest we would say no. If you could create a game like it then we would have no insentive or desire to pay someone like David Greenwood to create those games. We would simply grab his free engine and make our own. By doing so we would financially hurt the very person who created the engine in the first place. As a software developer myself I've had to think about these very same issues. I am a big fan of open source technologies like Linux, and whole-heartedly support open source projects when and where I can. Problem is if I take my own games and release them under an open source license I can forget making any money off of them. There isn't much money in them in the first place, but I have to make some money to cover things like sound effects, music, and pay me a little for my time. It all doesn't come for free. So I've had to adopt a more commercial licensing scheme to insure I get enough money to continue my work.

Josh wrote:
Hi,

You know it would be nice if GMA games would release a free version of their engine. I know audio game maker was a flop. But if game creation could be made easier maybe there would be more games. yes with an engine you are limited to the kinds of gamesyou can create; but with creativity you can make lots. As of now there are no free game engines out there.
Josh

Join me on klango at www.klango.net visit and sign my petition at: http://www.petitiononline.com/coda1234/petition.html and visit my blog at: http://jkenn337.klangoblog.net follow me on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/jkenn337