yeah, I know the feeling.
the main djc server has gone offline maybe for good, I have an account, last I
heard after a upgrade his isp was blocking the ports or something in any case
no go for anything.
I also feel for you on the case of the laptop, I had a 500gb western digital
external hdd I used for backup, now I have a 1tb mybook and a 640gb elements
drive both wd.
However I lost everything I owned except for my work stuff and passwords all
about 42mb worth and all I had on my hdd.
In fact if I had lost my system at that point for the 4 weeks I had lost
everything I wouldn't have gotten anything.
Luckily through the use of a really broken 320gb drive I was able to recover
about 250gb of data.
this I was able to coppy to the elements drive I got, a further 7gb was
recovered of a backup on my dad's system.
I still managed to lose a few gb of stuff but at least not much.
and with the backups I do every few months to the mybook which is never used
for anything but that I have had no issue.