Hi Jim,
Not only that but using standard Windows keyboard events weather it is done through the VB 6 runtime, .NET Framework, or is used in a C++ application is pretty slow. When a user presses a key he/she has to wait for the keyboard event to be registered by Windows, go through the message pump, and wait for Windows to signal the application that the state of the keyboard has changed. Although, that seams fast to us it is actually not able to keep up with constant fast action keyboard input, and the Windows message pump will get bogged down in processing multiple key presses. Something it was not designed to do. As a result we need something like DirectInput. It does exactly what the name implies. It acts as a direct bridge between the game and the hardware input device. It frequently gets a snapshot of the entire keyboard and can return the state of any key at once allowing you not only to hold down multiple keys, have fast action key presses, but to come up with new and interesting combos. You could, for example, use c+up arrow for crawl forward or x+up arrow to jump forward. This is far more flexible than the standard alt, control, and shift keys Windows uses for modifiers.

Cheers!

Jim Kitchen wrote:
Hi Kelly,

Yeah I used to just use the VB6 keyboard input and that and Jaws get along ok. But it can only get one key at a time. DirectX can detect lots of keys at the same time. It does have that problem with Jaws though. But I could not have made games such as Homer on a Harley, Puppy 1, Mach 1 tts and Triple J Shooter without the multiple key input stuff.

Have fun.

BFN