Hi Josh,
I'm not sure if the Lord of the Rings material has entered the public domain or not, but I definitely know Star Wars is copyrighted to the max. Lucasfilm Limited is very protective of their copyrights, and they are well known for slapping a copyright infringement suit on anyone who uses the Star Wars or Indiana Jones trade marks without their written permission. Having done some research on Lucasfilm's legal policy let's just say I've backed off of the Star Wars projects I was working on in a hurry. With something like Indiana Jones stuff you can slip by that simply by creating your own male or female archaeologist as I have done with Angela Carter. Thus I can have the same kind of game without getting Lucasfilm or Edos interactive after me for borrowing their ideas. With Star Wars that's way too specific a story line to copy cleanly. So I'm sure Philip won't touch that with a barge poll.

P.S.

The tree people in Lord of the Rings are called Ents.

Merry Christmas