OK, I was running around on levels four and five.

First, when going down to level five, I was told the stairway branches, and
to pick between the mines and Goblin Town, or something like that.

I picked the mines.

When I came back from level five, the stairway didn't branch anymore, and I
couldn't go to the Goblin Town, or whatever it was called.  Is that
expected?

Second, I have two quests on levels four and five.  I don't think I saw
either of them, though.

I suspect I'm not doing the searching right, as I've never seen it work.
How do you search and make it effective?  Am I missing whole sections of
these levels?

Thanks.