Actually, it's the combination of JAWS and applications written in Java that does not work on a 64-bit Windows (either Vista or Seven) machine, not JAWS itself. According to posts on the Web, this appears to be because in 64-bit Windows JAWS does not look in the correct directory for the main Java Access Bridge DLL. I've confirmed this personally using JAWS 11 on one of our 64-bit Windows 7 PCs. I've also confirmed this with Peter Korn, lead Java accessibility guy at Oracle (nee Sun).

Also, John Oliviera, head of our Massachusetts Council for the Blind, confirmed this. He told me that Freedom Scientific wants someone else, presumably an outside company, to pay for the fix. I'd contacted John and a number of influential people in the blind community about this.
Not because of our games. They self-voice.
But because more business applications are written in Java than in any other language.
And an increasing number of business PCs are going to be upgraded over time.
Often without much notice to the employee.
When they are, very likely they will have 64-bit Windows.
So you come to work and Voila! You can't do your job.
It's a serious issue and I thought that someone with influence should yarp about it.

However, given this new information about there being a 64-bit specific JAWS, I'll personally investigate this.
Though I suspect that the results will be the same.
JAWS will still not work with apps coded in Java that are running on 64-bit Windows. BTW. The latest NVDA works fine with Java apps on 64-bit Windows. I tried it myself.