Hi, I think there is an official inform website with a lot of resources. There is a manual included with inform 7 and there is a free inform for dummies text book. I do in fact think that, for creating interactive fiction at least it is best NOT to use a normal programming language. With a language that is specifically made for itneractive fiction you also have a parser to rely on (so what people can type into the game) and a large library with default actions and mechanisms. I do agree with you that inform is the best way to go although, if you want to go inform 7 I am not sure on how many platforms your games will be playable. There are some pretty dedicated newsgroups related to interactive fiction and I do even think that there are some mailing lists for inform programming but you would have to look on their official website for that.
Greetings, Anouk,
----- Original Message ----- From: "Orin" <orin8...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 12:03 AM
Subject: [Audyssey] Writing with Inform

Hedy all,

Until I can find a "real" programming language that my brain can comprehend and or find a manual that's easy to understand, Inform is my only option for now. I really want to go into programming and make it a job though if I'm having trouble understanding programming manuals it makes such a goal seem unachieveable. Then, once I manage to formulate these concepts in my head, how do I make a game out of it and turn it into code and make sounds do what I want, etc.

However, for those of you who write in Inform, which do you use to write it? Notepad and or a text editor and then compile it within the Inform program?

Also, even though inform is the simple programming language, what does one start a game off with. Creating a room? Because I notice at the beginning of Inform games there's release information and extention inclusions.

Thanks.