No. Samurai shodown aka samurai spirits used to be the head of weapons fighters. It originated them... but soul calibur is pretty much the only mainstream weapons-based fighter. Samurai Shodown was a sleeper hit.. you only loved it if you heard about it. lol.

Well, siegfried is only described as slow because his sword is so huge... and that's a monster.

Wow. Your brother definitely had a shallow view... that's how I beat every newbie I come across. Yes, you can pick it up... but if you don't get the timing down right, and don't learn move ranges and hit properties, you are going to be in trouble. Guard impacts especially are important. Half the tournament matches you'll see involve a lot of times when noone even attacks.. the players just try and maneuver each other into different situations.