From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Jeremy Kaldobsky
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 12:52 PM
To: audyssey
Subject: [Audyssey] Daytona and the Book of Gold

I bring greetings from sandy Daytona beach in Florida!  As some of you know,
my holiday work schedule just about killed me so my wife and I are enjoying
a vacation to get away from things for a while.  During this time away I
don't have access to the files for my combat game but I did decide to work
on some stuff since I enjoy programming and I am on vacation after all!  lol
big_smile  Over the past few days I have been piecing together a little game
that I hope you will all enjoy.

I named the game after the beach since it is probably one of the only
accessible games partially programmed while sitting on the sand a stones
throw away from the ocean.  The game is centered around quick action,
memorization, and hand coordination skills... yes you heard that right, a
mouse or track pad will be required to play this game.  If you don't have a
mouse or track pad you can enjoy scrolling through the game's main menu I
suppose, but that seems a little boring to me.  hehe.

The story of the game is that you are an impoverished wizard who has come
across a spell capable of conjuring magical [gold] coins out of thin air!
Obviously such a spell would solve all of your troubles but the spell is
quite difficult.  Coins are easily created but they will simply turn in to
smoke and vanish unless the mystical gateway can be made stable with the
spell.  Speed and accuracy is the only way to stabilize the magic gateway
through its different stages (levels).  If you cast your spell too slowly it
will never become more stable than it currently is.

I am still working on the part of the game that teaches you how to draw the
various shapes.  Because that is a rather important part to the game, I
can't release it yet for you guys to try.  I managed to beat the game
earlier so I'm still excited!  After beating the game I felt confident
enough to record a demo of me playing through the first 4 levels.  All of
the voices you hear in the demo are from the game itself and not me talking
using the microphone.  The metallic sounds are made as I move the mouse into
different shapes.  What is cool is that each direction you move makes a
different noise so someone sitting beside you can actually tell which shape
you drew once they've been exposed to the game for a bit!  The voice on the
right is my character reading up to 3 shapes from the spell book that I must
draw next.  The voice to the left is just encouragement or warning depending
on how fast and accurate I currently am.  Each successful shape, in the
 right order, conjures more [gold] coins that can be heard falling to the
table.  Each successful shape makes its own sound as it casts and a central
voice announces its name.  Lastly, the music begins calm and becomes
increasingly dramatic as I get closer to reaching the next level of
stability for the gateway.  If I, for example, were at 90% and simply
stopped casting spells, my progress would slowly drain until I was back at
0%.  I won't drop below the last level I reached, but it means I am farther
away from unlocking the next level.  Hopefully that makes sense and shows
that speed is what is important in this game.  Oh I almost forgot, you'll
also hear the occasional buzz sound that indicates I failed to draw any
shape properly.  If I wasn't accurate enough with my shape it won't count.
I am not penalized by drawing a wrong shape, but obviously I wasted valuable
time and more of my coins drained away.

www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/daytona.wma
(I hope you can all open this recording format, it is the default windows 7
recorder saves as)

You can follow along with the development of the game on the Audiogames.net
forum.  I hope to have a working beta version posted soon.  Here is the
official thread
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=4595