Hi Nicol,

Nicol wrote:

Yes I agree, it will fit the story line if monsters and items are not
random. In shades of doom, monsters and items are never random.

My reply:

Actually, in Shades of Doom enemy monsters and items are randomly
placed around the level. The monsters and items don't usually show up
in the same room from game to game. There are, however, a few
exceptions to this rule like the mutant human with the semi-automatic
in the elevator room, the blob in the toilet, the blob in the packing
crate, etc that are not randomly placed. I suppose if I updated my
random placement code to work like Shades of Doom does there wouldn't
be a problem with it.

Nicol wrote:

As for arcade mode or not, I personally feel the game should have at least 3
lives. When I played  games like  pack man, Mario brothers and load runner
on a gaming console as a child with the assistance of sighted friends, these
games all had more than one life.

My reply:

Well, the reason the classic platform games like those you mentioned
above had three or more lives is do to hardware restrictions. There
was no hard drive, thumb drive, or anything else to save games to so
they gave you multiple lives instead of the ability to save
checkpoints.

In a lot of modern games instead of a save menu or multiple lives they
have automatic checkpoints. If you die you are given the option to
reload from your last saved checkpoint. This doesn't make it any
easier because it just gives you more chances to try and get past a
certain trap, enemy, etc that you might be stuck on.

Cheers!