Hi Michael,

About the only game that fits your description would be Entombed.
Entombed is an accessible RPG game along the lines of Dungeons and
Dragons. You start out with one main character and his/her pet, and
from there you rescue other party members which you can control. If
you have powers you can also create zombies and other monsters to
fight on your side. I've had some really interesting battles with the
Drake and other powerful bosses in the game.

Cheers!