On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 01:03:06PM -0500, Thomas Ward wrote:
> I think the only way we might have a chance at a real console is to
> retrofit one of the existing consoles, IE install our own operating
> system on it, and then build games using that platforms APIs.

[My Reply:]
        Hi Thomas,

        That's basically what the developers of the GameShark did with
the PSX and the new PS1, the latter requiring a disk to be loaded for
the GameShark card to work.  I'm assuming it re-wrote at least part of
the Playstation's operating system to get it to recognize the GameShark
after Sony modified the OS for the PS1.  Then again, I never tried the
old GameShark in the newer machines.  A "Yaroze" model of the
Playstation, along with game development software can be had for $800,
last I'd heard.  Access rights to publish Playstation software might be
another story once the software had been developed, and might cost an
arm and a leg.  Adding audio to game menu selections would be a nice
benefit on some of these fighter games.  I know I'm getting another PS1
and another copy of Soul Blade and Tekken 3 to mess around with again.
I used to kick major butt on Soul Blade, and would love to give my
nephews a run for their money here soon.

                                Michael

--
Linux User:     177869 # Powered By: Intel # http://rivensight.dyndns.org