Mike, in the Luminals folder, open up the readme.txt file.  This is the section
you need:

If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you may encounter an error if you
don't have direct X7 registered. Follow these steps to register the file and
the error should be corrected.
Put dx7vb.dll into the c:\windows\syswow64 folder. The file to copy can be
found within the game's folder. After copying, open command prompt as an
administrator. Go to c:\windows\syswow64 and type regsvr32 dx7vb.dll

If you attempted to register direct X, but had difficulties, here are step by
step instructions:
(If you are running a 32 bit version of windows, replace "syswow64" with
"system32" in these instructions.)

Copy dx7vb.dll into the c:\windows\syswow64 folder.
Open up the command prompt as an administrator (being on an admin account does
not mean the same thing).
There are 2 ways to achieve this.  If you're able, right click on the command
prompt icon and select "Run as Administrator".
If you must use the keyboard, use the Windows context key after you have
highlighted the command prompt icon.  This will bring up the menu allowing you
to select "Run as administrator".
Once command prompt opens, type the following 5 commands, and press enter after
each one:
cd..
cd..
cd\windows
cd\windows\syswow64
regsvr32 dx7vb.dll

I'm actually adding that second half to the game's read me file that will ship
with the next update.  I think it is a good idea to give people the step by
step instructions.