hmmm not sure.
That system crashes and corrupt restores have issues could be one thing.
I have just had a couple of those and c cleaner really does work.
Saying its possible both the pc and ipod could have issues.
Firstly try uninstalling all apple components off the system, installing them again and seeing if that works.
Next do a chkdsk of the disk any access errors should be fixed.
try a system defrag.
Its possible both systems are in an unstable state.
Reformat both systems and that will be fine at least from windows point of view.
You may also want to try to clean the fans in the system to fix those crashes.