Hi,
The doctor will work on sick people as his time allows.  He'll use cloth to
treat physical injuries, but can handle actual sickness on his own.  It might
take a while, but eventually you'll get a message that the doctor is working on
so-and-so, and some time after that they should be cured, and you'll get
another message about that.
People are less likely to get sick if you build houses for them, but there's no
absolutely surefire way to prevent it.
Best,
Zack.