Hi dark,
thanks for the reply.
I had forgotten you needed to close the intro message before you could pull up game options. My god, this guy is a sloppy programmer, he clearly doesn't use captions in his code to set a proper window title. If anyone is interested, I am using a very powerful set of jaws scripts called hotspot clicker to make playing smugglers easier, buy setting up hotspots for the combat system, and also to make activating blind players mode and getting into the options menu easier.
it means, no more hunting around with the jaws cursor to find things,
now when I start the game, I can just hit alt and c to close the intro message, alt and o for the game options menu, and then alt and b to activate the blind players mode. and no need to go hunting with the jaws cursor at all, it saves a lot of time and frustration.