Hi Valiant,

Well, assuming we do decide to use Sapi on Windows I'd obviously have
to modify the engine to use whatever TTS API was available for Mac OS
and Linux. Linux has the Speec-Dispatcher API which is similar to Sapi
in a sense. Mac OS has its own Speech API, I forget what its called,
but serves a similar purpose as Sapi.

As for using open source TTS Engines like ESpeak or Festival I
certainly could include them as a part of my games provided I stuck to
the terms of the license agreement. Using/including them in my game
engine isn't a problem. The issue with those voices is they are so
dreadful sounding that I think it would be a major detraction from the
game for most gamers including me. I can listen to ESpeak only for so
long before I switch over to a higher quality voice.

Lastly, as for your script its a good idea in theory, but very very
resource intensive. Parcing a string of text and loading *.wav files
on the fly isn't really an effective way to handle speech output for a
number of reasons. Generally when and where I have to do something
like that, such as speaking a number, I have all of the numbers loaded
into individual speech buffers when the game loads, and play the
numbers as needed. If I were to load one.wav and play it, load
hundred.wav and play it, and then load two.wav and play it, that's
waisting resources on file IO as the program accesses the hard drive
to load the files in real time. You should have all of them loaded at
once, store them in memory, until they are needed.

Cheers!