I agree that the current, broken up method doesn't feel right.  The first
mission was a single message but I had to start breaking it up once I got to
missions 2 and 3.  I'm sure you're wondering why I feel that I HAVE to break it
up, and the answer is sighted support.  Before mission 2 was released I was
converting the game over so that sighted players could also play the game
visually.  When the messages are displayed visually they use up a certain
amount of room on the screen, so there is a limited amount of text I can safely
display at any 1 moment.  I say safely because it depends upon the individual's
screen resolution so I must prepare for what I believe the lowest setting is
likely to be used by someone.  If, or when, I start spending more time on the
visual side of Castaways I can change how the text is displayed to correct this
limitation, but currently if I lengthen the messages than sighted players will
only see the first half of it.  The
 idea of messages being restricted by space might seem a little strange to
screen reader users, but compare it to reading a Braille book.  You can only
fit so many characters onto a single sheet of paper at a time.  By breaking up
the intro message I am able to spread it out over multiple pages as needed.

It's possible that this topic needs to be my reminder to go back and work more
on the visual side of the game.  This limitation can be overcome so that an
entire page of text can be displayed at once, just not with the current way it
is coded.

Oh, just in case it helps, you don't have to unpause the game to hear the rest
of the intro message.  Press the tilde/guave key (~ next to 1) to hear
backlogged messages.  It works for the intro just like it works for the normal
game messages that back log.