Those changes to the V key will be easy to add, so I'll have that in the next
update.  While the walls do not mimic the guard tower as far as allowing troops
to rest, they are technically your buildings so the guards will defend the area
near them.  The AI for your troops must decide which enemies to attack each
time they are fully rested.  Part of their decision is based on what class of
soldier their enemy is, so they are more likely to attack ones they are best at
fighting, but the other consideration is how close the enemy is to your
buildings.  You'd much rather have your troops attacking the enemies that are
close to your settlement rather than running off to attack ones that are super
far away.  So by spreading walls around, you are giving your soldiers a larger
sense of what constitutes your settlement, and so they will put more importance
on defending land they didn't care as much about previously.