You have to get three leather in your monastery, and then assign a monk. The jobs guide may help with this.

From: "lenron brown" <lenro...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:42 PM
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] neat thing in castaways

how do you get to where you can make a tome

The monk's percentage bar was added a while ago, but people didn't seem to
notice.  I was testing the idea of showing everyone's percentage, but I
forgot I had even done it, haha! I'll write myself a note to start putting
that on the other jobs as well.

Hi all, I recently made my first
tome. As my monk was working on it, I discovered that there
was percentage in what she was doing. I just want to say how
much I appreciate this percentage (my cook was injured, and
I could tell that my monk would be finished in time to
replace him without any problems). I would rally like to see
this major upgrade move out to the other jobs if possible.