Jess,

You can learn earlier spells and skills at any time, so if you want to
go get them go ahead.  You don't have to learn everything all at once
(in fact you'll have to wait on some stuff, because there aren't
enough practices until much later in the game!)

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com