That's true, but for the moment you don't lose the items if you get killed.  It
would only revert you back to your last save.  As you can imagine, this is
prone to abuse, but it makes up for the random spawning sometimes putting you
in bad situations.  I believe that once the Safe zone changes are in effect,
people will always spawn there when they begin.  It will seem more like your
home base.  When that happens, being killed will most likely result in you
losing whatever equipment you were carrying with you at the time.  Another
benefit of leaving some things behind at the Safe zone I guess.