I played lusternia for a long time. You have to disable certain visual
elements, which I can't remember how to do, but it works well enough.

For something simple to get the feel for a mud, try something
relatively open like Valhalla or CoffeeMUD.

As for VIPMud, hit tab to go into your "output window" where text goes
after it comes from the MUD. Sometimes, like for example in combat,
you may not have time to review every line of text before you need to
make a decision, but other situations, especially those involving
computer controlled characters, will usually afford you a chance to
review.

Still, and no offense intended, it may be worth your while to learn,
or practice, gaining necessary information from a stream of text. For
example: does it matter that you're in a mine shaft, if a group of
angry goblins are attacking you. It only matters if you didn't want to
be there, and if you are fighting, it's probably too late to worry
about whether you're where you want to be.

This is especially serious in most MUD style games, because most of
them have a prompt, something that lets you know you're free to type.
However, most prompts feature several vital stats: your hitpoints and
mana are usually displayed in fantasy games, but there usually are
very many stats you can choose to have displayed. Not having the
prompt is, frankly, a bad idea, but it's hard to get used to ignoring
or skipping it when it's not important.

I don't know what rate you have your screen reader set to, but I would
suggest a relatively fast one, at least while you're gaming.

Outside the question of MUD gaming, there are table top RPG games
which allow for a much more flexible approach. My friends and I play
something like this, albeit on a less mapped out style than is usually
common, and using a pen and paper interface is great for players of
all levels. Some games rely strictly on your imagination to create the
world around you, as relayed by the Game Master, who narrates your
story, engineers encounters, and helps decide outcomes of such
encounters. Other games offer maps or boards with pieces that players
control to go around the world. These games are usually a little
easier for beginning role players to get a handle on, but because of
the limited and unchanging nature of a mapped out world, they're more
limited and mapped out games.

I hope this exhaustive explanation and specification helps. Good luck
and happy gaming.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard