hi dark, its less to do with the fact that microsoft are to lazy to, but more that times have moved on, and we now have ways of doing things in a far more efitiant ways for newer computers. and as has been pointed out by people before, windows is bloated, .. well, thats come from trying to support all the old ways of doing things. so they are saying, sertain older ways of doing things will be fased out, in order to make room for the new, and especially with the newer processors and ram coming out, the old ways just do not suit anymore.

anyways, yes, i would have thought it to be a better thing to create a totally new game, rather then recode an old one. but there you go. lol. perhaps make a modern day one? i think that could be cool, a modern day submarine game. mmm.
dallas

On 12/12/2011 01:46, dark wrote:
Hi Phil.

Out of interest were there any major gameplay changes associated with lone wolf version 4?

while I see the point, frankly just because microsoft are too lazy to add backward compatibility into windows doesn't mean there won't be ways around, and in the case of vb applications it seems that there are already pretty solid ways of running them on windows 7, which is why developers like Jim and Aprone are writing games in vb 6 stil (and I don't mean the hole virtual system emulation mallarchy either).

So personally, ---- and not just because I'm stil running xp (my computer afterall can't last forever), I am rather more interested in what possible gameplay changes or additions version 4 might have, especially if it's being sold as a separate game.

Then of course what about the 92 custom missions for the game?

personally I'd be more in favour of David writing a sequal rather than a version upgrade to the game, with significant gameplay changes, and leaving lone wolf version 3 as the distinct lone wolf.

beware the grue!

dark.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Vlasak" <p...@pcsgames.net>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2011 2:59 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] plans for an updated Lone Wolf

Hi Folks,
I'm pasting a message from David about his games.

----- Original Message ----- From: "GMAGames - David Greenwood" <davidgreenw...@rogers.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2011 2:27 PM
Subject: [GMAGamesTalk] Re: Any plans for an updated Lone Wolf?

Hi all,

After reviewing my schedule and looking at what i have done, partially done, and what needs updates, I have decided to rewrite LoneWolf 4 from scratch. It is currently written in VB6 and it is getting the the point where it is a matter of just a couple of years before programs written in this language may not be supported. Matter of fact, the development environment no longer works in Windows 7, but if developed in Vista say, it will still run in Windows 7 and Windows 8, but Microsoft has said that it probably won't thereafter.

What does this mean to you? Firstly, all the previous work on LW will be discarded, including original LW code and any changes I've made so far towards LW4 in VB6. This will extend the schedule out quite a bit. Next, due to the amount of work, LW4 will need to be purchased as a new game. If there is a credit for previous owners of the license, it would be small.

In any event, LW3 will continue to be supported and key replacements will continue to be generated for people who do not upgrade.

Regards,
David Greenwood,
davidgreenw...@gmagames.com
http://www.GMAGames.com