Hi Michael,

That is true. Technically the DirectX end user license forbids
installing the components separately out side of the official
Microsoft installer, and of course dx7vb.dll and dx8vb.dll do not ship
with newer DirectX runtime distributions. From a legal standpoint its
a lose-lose situation.

However, several people like Jim Kitchen, GMA, etc install those
libraries anyway, and I don't see it as a very big crime.  No one has
ever been asked to remove it from their installers and Microsoft
hasn't given anyone grief over it. So while it might technically be
illegal Microsoft isn't actively hunting people down and making them
stop either.

So as an end  user I wouldn't worry too much about it. As you already
know we can install the missing Visual Basic runtime libraries and
they are still compatible with Windows 7 code. This is, I think, a
testament to how  backwards compatible Windows really is.  If you are
worried about legal issues this is a classic case of "don't ask don't
tell."

Cheers!