You can blame the game nuts for that.
The sighted like using powerfull games which need that power.
As for upgrades all stuff needs to be upgraded, storage hardware, security etc.
At 04:32 p.m. 11/12/2011 -0600, you wrote:
Do they really have to continually upgrade the operating system and programs, making more power hogs, making us buy more powerful computers to do the same tasks we were previously doing but having to use more powerful processors and use more of the resources to do those tasks? Why can't they just leave well enough alone once they get a system that actually does what it's supposed to do?

---
"Security is not the absence of danger.  It is the presence of the Lord."

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] plans for an updated Lone Wolf

Hi Alex.

As I said I'm not annoyed that Microsoft update their os, they have to, even if we don't like some of their decisions on interfaces etc.

it just seems though that they don't give a dam about running older programs, games or anything else, they just claime "newer = better" it seems without actually considdering what people want their computers for, namely to run programs.

comador didn't do this with their os or machines, even with compltely new hardware, going from amigar 500 to 1200.

Even the big console developers are realizing that people like running their old games, hence the wii virtual consoles, virtual arcade and other such software versions of older games stil available on modern machines.

Microsoft though just seem to expect everyone to update, buy their products and cope, because newer is always better in their opinion.

for myself, if i could be certain all my games and other applications would work under windows 7, I'd be much less wary about updating.

I just see this as a case of not listening to the customer and doing their own dam thing and expecting everyone to cope simply because they are a big fat company who just care about the prophit.

Beware the grue!