The command prompt worked well enough for everyone too, except that it
didn't really.  The ribbons certainly have been controversial, but MS had a
reason to believe it would be more convenient for the vast majority of their
user base.  Remember, companies don't design for edge cases, and we my
friend are an edge case to a company that does the volume of sales that
Microsoft does.  It's the trade-off, you don't pay the blindness tax that
you do with specialized companies, but you have to roll with what they
provide to a much greater extent.  The willingness of IOS and Android
application developers to put access into their apps is a welcome exception
to this phenomenon.

So, if you want software designed with access in mind, then use HJPad or
Guide or something like that, and no disrespect to you or those who use such
programs, I've taught them when I thought it was warranted.  But if you want
access to the larger computer world, you're going to have to meet it part
way at least, and the bigger the company you buy software from, the farther
you're going to have to go.  Don't like the ribbons, I believe there is a
work-around that puts the menus back in, at least for Office 2007.  But
please, many of the rest of us have experienced the ongoing advances in
computer and related technologies to be a boon for our access to services
and information, so try to understand why we find your viewpoint puzzling at
best and frustratingly indicative of a problem in our community that holds
back innovation in our own software designs.

        Christopher Bartlett